My birth story…

This time 2 weeks ago, I was about to go into labour with my second child, it was so so different than with my first! Last time, in short, I had 16 hours of active, back to back labour, then delivered Austin in theatre via forceps! Poor little man. This time, it went a little something like this…

Note: if you’re someone who doesn’t like details of giving birth and/or someone who at all costs avoids watching One Born Every Minute, please stop here! Imagine, if you like, that Elodie was delivered by a stork. If however, you are interested in all the (not so) gory details, read on! 

On Thursday 13th March, I turned 39 weeks. I’d had light period type pains all morning and was mega uncomfortable but convinced that I would go overdue. Plus I was used to all kinds of aches and pains so didn’t think anything of it. I did a big food shop in the morning, came home, had lunch, then went out for a walk for almost an hour. Actually, more of a casual stroll as it was really hot outside – freakishly so for mid-March! When I returned from my walk, my period pain was still lingering but again, I thought nothing of it so carried on the rest of my day like normal.

We went to bed about 10.30pm and Steve was asleep within maybe 3 minutes of his head hitting the pillow! I on the other hand, couldn’t get comfortable (no change there!). I turned over in bed and thought I felt my waters break. I jumped out of bed to check I hadn’t imagined it and they just kept leaking. Eeeek! This didn’t happen last time – the midwife broke my waters at about 9cm – and I really didn’t know what to do!!

I woke Steve, who questioned whether I had really just wet myself..! After reassuring him that I did in fact, still have control of my bladder, I phoned the labour line. It was about 11.15pm when I spoke to a lovely lady who said if I felt ok, she was happy for me to stay at home until my contractions were painful and about 3 minutes apart. As contractions hadn’t even started yet, she told me to try and get some rest for now and to call back, probably early in the morning, once the contractions had started and were painful.

I called my Mum, who lives about 35 minutes away and she set off to our house to look after Austin, who was sleeping soundly, none the wiser!

By the time Mum arrived at about midnight, my contractions were between 2 1/2 and 3 minutes apart. But my timings were not very accurate as I kept forgetting to start the timer..! I called the labour line back as they were quite painful but still bearable. I hadn’t even started using my TENS machine yet. I explained to the midwife that I was coping fine but as I live 30 mins from the hospital, I wold rather set of now than leave it much longer, in case baby arrived in the car..! She agreed and said she’d phone the hospital to let them know I was on my way.

Steve packed up the car and we drove to the hospital, through the crazy arse fog that had descended upon us that evening! You can imagine my delight when, numerous times along the journey, we had to slow down to what felt like 0.5mph to drive through it safely..!

We arrived at the hospital at 12.45am and the contractions were almost constant. The wait at the door buzzer seemed like FOREVER! There was another woman in labour waiting with us, who I don’t think even had a contraction while we waited with her and was holding a full blown conversation with her husband while I could barely whisper a single word! She bugged me. I desperately hoped, that I would deliver before her.

Once inside the maternity unit, they took me straight round to the delivery suite, skipping the assessment rooms – thankfully! We put my TENS machine on but by now it wasn’t enough on its own so I started on the Gas and Air. The midwife looking after us, Natalie, was really lovely. She was a student midwife and looked after us so well!

After filling out some admission paperwork, she examined me at 1.05am and I was 5cm. I was soooo disappointed!! Her and Steve both reassured me that I’d done well to get that far that quickly but, I felt like the pain was worse than 5cm worth so I was gutted. I asked Natalie if I could use the birthing pool, so she popped off to start running it for me.

She came back not long after, gave me some very fetching mesh paper pants to wear and rubbed my back for me! Bless her!  We made our way to the birthing pool room – just a few doors down – and once in, while I waited for the water to fill up the pool, I climbed on all fours, onto a big cushion type thing (think soft play apparatus!) in the corner of the room. Natalie went off to get the bed from my old room and bring it in for me.

When she came back in, I really felt like I was ready to push!

I told her with a rather urgent tone that I needed to push and bless her, she looked a little concerned! She called a more senior midwife in as I said “I’m going to push!” and started to push – I really felt like I couldn’t stop myself! She rather forcefully (from my Gas and Air fuelled memory) told me to stop because I might not be ready yet and she needed to examine me first to see! As far as she was concerned, I was still at 5cm! I did as I was told and stopped pushing and felt baby’s head move back! That’s when I thought, word for word “sod you love, I’m pushing this baby out now!”. She had a quick peak as I stopped pushing, saw the baby’s head disappearing back and realised that actually, I was ready!!

With the next contraction, I pushed so so hard. I imagined the baby coming out (good old One Born Every Minute – without it, I wouldn’t have had a clue what to picture!) and I think it really helped because with that push, her head was born. Follow a bit of panting, then another big push and she was here!! My beautiful daughter Elodie was born at 1.30am, just 25 minutes after I was examined at 5cm. There hadn’t even been enough time to run the birthing pool!

This labour was so amazing. It hurt like hell, of course, but I look back on it now and am so pleased with how it went. I’m amazingly happy that Elodie wasn’t born in theatre and didn’t need to be dragged out by forceps, like her poor big bro. I feel like she was born how she wanted to be born and I’m so content and happy feeling like this.

 The bits they don’t show on One Born Every Minute – delivering the placenta (ouch!) and having stitches (double ouch!), I kind of hadn’t thought about! Last labour I’d had a spinal so wasn’t able to feel anything. This time, with no spinal, those bits weren’t too enjoyable but at least I got to watch Steve and Elodie having mega cute daddy-daughter cuddles to take my mind off it! Plus I still had hold of the Gas and Air! Result!!

Here we are, in Elodie’s first ever photo at 1 hour old…


2 weeks later, Elodie is settling in well, Austin is learning to love his little sis (I’ll blog soon about introducing them to one another) and we are all starting a new adventure, as a family of 4…

12 thoughts on “My birth story…

  1. Polly Williams says:

    What a lovely birth story, I’m so glad it went smoothly for you. I always worry because my first went great that the nect I won’t be so lucky!! Hope Austin is getting on well with his big brother role xx😘😘

  2. Nicola Johnston says:

    Congratulations! Sounds like you handled everything so easily! (As much as you can with labour I guess!) can’t wait to read about them meeting for the first time 🙂 makes me even more excited for my due date! Xx

  3. Radka says:

    That went quick! My girl Olivia was born 1.40 am. I actually wasn’t in pain when I delivered placenta, I didn’t even feel it. I only had gas&air and pethidine which they gave me too late so it didn’t do anything. Next time epidural lol xx

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s